Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Why I Quit Music: A Beautiful Rising


Today (written Nov. 11) marks an important day, as I begin to record my final musical project, Beautiful Rising. This record speaks of the dungeons of life and the rise to the palace, through Christ.  If you are familiar with me personally or musically, you would be quick to assess that I have a sincere love for music and more specifically, Hip-Hop.

I am sure that most of you would be interested in knowing why the sudden departure from something that I really love to do. 
Well, two words. Holy. Ambition. 

"I am calling it “holy” because its aim is holy—to see people from all the nations who have never heard of Jesus believe in him and become obedient to him and be saved by him from their sin and from God’s wrath. And I am calling this ambition “holy” because it comes from God and his holy word".
-John Piper (Holy Ambition: To Preach Where Christ Has Not Been Named) link


November of 2012 I announced a departure from my original stage name Royalty Jackson to a more obscure name Arlyon jaXon (pronounced our-lion). My plans were to really push and focus on the advancement of my musical career. I printed flyers, business cards, created a website and many other things that would put my hobby on a professional level and things started off great. I was doing a lot of shows and making a lot of great connections, but all of this began to dwindle. 

While I was focusing on music, my holy ambition was slowly making me aware that I was scratching the wrong itch. 

Anytime I write a new song, I submerge myself into the scriptures. If you were to look at my lyric sheet from last year, you would see tons of verses and scripture references that related to the song. I found that a lot of my songs could be sermons. Even at my shows, I would tend to speak more than perform. There was just something in me that was more attracted to the teaching of the Word than the performing of the Word.

I was recognizing my holy ambition. 

Three years ago, when I first moved back to Nashville, God spoke something a surprising word to me as I was washing the dishes. During this time I was going through a refining process (I think I'm still in it). A process that required me to trust God. This one word has been branded on my heart ever since then and I believe it was the spark to this holy ambition.

If you believe in symbols and signs, like I do, you would see that there has been many confirmations of His Word to me. Through conversations, events and promotions, God has made it more than clear that I need to surrender to this holy ambition. Listen, I would so rather continue music because that is my comfort zone, but I have a holy ambition that is calling me to something different. 
“Holy ambition” means something you really want to do that God wants you to do. Something you want to do so much that doing it keeps you from doing other things that you also really like to do".
-John Piper 

With that being said, this is my formal announcement of my change of focus. I will not call it a departure, but it is no longer my focus. You might hear more music, you might not. I have talked this over and over with a couple good friends, as well as my wife and they believe this transition is much needed. 

I do not know what is next for me, but what I do know is this; that I now have a focus for my life. I have an ambition that calls me away from the things I really love to do. I have a peace knowing that I am doing exactly what God desires. What greater tranquility is there, than knowing you are precisely where God desires you to be. 

This is my holy ambition.  

To magnify the excellency of our God and the glory of our King through the writing, teaching and preaching of His Word. Delivering the purpose of God closer to heart.

Until then, you have a new album to look forward to in the Summer of 2014. Beautiful Rising.

No comments:

Post a Comment